Overview of Orthopaedic Surgery in Singapore

Modern orthopaedic surgery in Singapore started in 1952 with the establishment of a University Department of Orthopaedic Surgery in the General Hospital campus under Professor J A P Cameron. Before 1952, fractures and orthopaedic diseases were treated on an ad hoc basis by general surgeons. In 1956, a government Department of Orthopaedic Surgery under Mr D W C Gawne was set up also in the General Hospital. In these early days, the common problems were infection of bone and joints like tuberculosis, poliomyelitis, leprosy and cerebral palsy.


In 1973, a spinal rehabilitation centre was set up in Tan Tock Seng Hospital. This was due to the untiring efforts of Mr N Balachandran who even sought the help of Sir George Bedbrook to convince the government of the urgency. Financial help came from a local philanthropist, Dato Lee Chee Shan.

 

The idea of an ASEAN Orthopaedic Association was first mooted in 1977 at the SICOT Meeting in Kyoto among the delegates from Indonesia, Philippines and Singapore. Subsequent events culminated in the inaugural meeting in Manila in February 1981.

 

 

Board Members 2019 - 2021
 
Rank Name
Chairman Dr Tay Keng Jin Darren
Vice-Chairman Dr Goh Seo Kiat
Honorary Secretary Dr Lee Yee Han Dave
Member Dr Ganesan Naidu
  Dr Lee Chee Siang, Bernard
  Dr Puah Ken Lee
  Dr Das De Soumen
Co-opted Member Dr Hamid Rahmatullah Bin Abd Razak

 

Please click here to view Past Board Members.

Back To Top